To kick-off Organics Unlimited’s promise to provide our Five Points to Drive Sales plan, we are going to focus on point one: promoting the nutritional value of bananas. With nutrition being one of the highest deciding factors for choosing what we eat, it is beneficial to exemplify the advantages bananas have. Having both physical and mental health benefits, there are many selling points you could utilize in your stores.
Typically, the nutritional information of bananas is never shown nor is it placed on the fruit. Everyone assumes that bananas are healthy, which is true, but showing useful facts and tips can really help everyone understand the value of what they are putting into their bodies.
It is widely known that potassium is a huge benefactor when eating bananas, but there are many other nutrients that can be shared to help bring them into the spotlight. Bananas have 16% of the Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) of dietary fiber; this helps keep digestion regular and maintain low blood sugar. There is also high levels of fructooligosaccharide (FOS) in bananas that promotes calcium absorption and nourishes healthy bacteria in the colon. One banana also has an impressive 34% of the RDI of vitamin B6 which can act as an anti-inﬂammatory agent that helps ward off cardiovascular disease, type II diabetes, and obesity.
Many months are dedicated to specific causes: Stress Awareness Month in April, Blood Pressure Awareness Month in May, and National Fresh Fruit and Veggie Month in June. Bananas easily fit the requirements to take advantage of these months. Look ahead to promote these healthy awareness campaigns and tie them into banana sales, displays, and POP materials.
Interesting facts about the health benefits of bananas:
- Bananas contain natural sugars that provide the body with the carbohydrates necessary to revitalize your body. These healthy carbs fuel bodies for longer periods of time; the sugars and starch are a vital source of energy
- Bananas contain high levels of potassium, which is essential to for muscle health. They’re good for the heart and nervous system, so bananas are a perfect fuel food for athletes
- High levels of potassium also aid in kidney and bone health. Potassium helps to increase the absorption of calcium and reduce the risk of kidney stones
- Bananas contain trace amounts of Tryptophan, which helps the body produce serotonin – a calming effect on the brain that creates stabilized moods
- Bananas have vitamin B6 which is essential in helping the body produce hemoglobin, antibodies, immune response and maintaining proper blood/sugar ratios in the blood
- Bananas act as a binder and can help with many gastrointestinal problems
Communicating helpful and interesting tidbits of information about bananas gives customers more of a reason to consider buying them. Adding these simple, easy to maintain facts among your banana display will only increase the value of the product and can only work in your favor. Raising the awareness of this fruit not only helps your sales, but also your customers. It’s also good to note that a medium sized banana contains:
- Calories = 110
- Fat = 0 g
- Cholesterol = 0 g
- Potassium = 400 mg (10% of daily recommended value)
- Dietary Fiber = 4 g (16% of daily recommended value)
- Sugar = 14.8 g
- Protein = 1 g (2% of daily recommended value)
- Vitamin C = 16% of daily recommended value
- Vitamin B6 = 34% of daily recommended value
Nutritional Value is one of five topics we touch upon that will help you grow your organic banana sales. Please read about our other Five Points to Drive Sales which includes Alternative Usage, Convenience of Purchase, Strategic Displays, and Organic vs. Conventional.
If you are interested in POP materials for free download or to purchase printed materials, learn more about our new POP online store here.
If you’d like to be involved and to learn more about Organics Unlimited, GROW, or how you can obtain Fair Trade Label Organics Unlimited bananas, visit OrganicsUnlimited.com, GROWBananas.org, or call (619) 710-0658.