For anyone that suffers from food allergies here is a delicious banana cake recipe just for you. This cake is so simple to make with just a few different ingredients found at your local health food store. If you have overripe bananas lying around, transform them into this delectable treat that is safe for just about everyone.
Allergy-friendly Banana Cake
Makes 24 servings.
- 2 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 Tbs. Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 2/3 cup rice milk
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 3 medium bananas, mashed with 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. molasses
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two 8-inch pans or line two muffin pans with paper muffin cups
- Combine oat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum and Egg Replacer in a medium bowl. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together rice milk, oil, bananas, vanilla extract and molasses. Add oat flour mixture to batter and stir until smooth
- Pour into prepared pans or fill the muffin cups 2/3 full and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean
- Let cool completely before serving
For some extra flare Art Of Dessert recommends topping the cake with frosting.
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup Spectrum vegetable shortening
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp. rice milk
- Using a whisk attachment, beat together the powdered sugar and vegetable shortening till light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and rice milk.
- For Chocolate Frosting, add 1/4 cup cocoa powder plus 1 to 2 tablespoons more of rice milk.
Source: Art Of Dessert
Look for new recipes from Organics Unlimited every Friday!