- Incorporate Sustainability into your Business Plan wp.me/p2uCk9-Gm 23 hours ago
- #Recipe: Bananas Foster Scones & Sweet Potato Hash Browns #RecipeFriday wp.me/p2uCk9-Gd 6 days ago
- Hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends and loved ones! 6 days ago
- Organics Unlimited Gives Thanks for Sustainability this Holiday wp.me/p2uCk9-G7 1 week ago
- Recipe: Strawberry-Banana Parfaits wp.me/p2uCk9-G3 1 week ago
- Advertising Banana Banana Bread banana cake Banana Cream Pie Banana Facts Banana Industry Banana Marketing Banana Muffins Banana Pudding Banana Recipe Bananas Banana Smoothie breakfast Breakfast Recipe Cake Recipe Coconuts Community cookies dessert Dessert Recipe Drink Recipe drinks Ecuador Fair Trade Fair Trade Bananas Five Points To Drive Sales GROW GROW Bananas GROW by Organics Unlimited GROW Month GROW Scholars GROW Stories Health Healthy Healthy Lifestyles ice cream Ice Cream Recipe kid-friendly Main Dish Marketing Muffin Recipe muffins National Fresh Fruit and Veggie Month Non-Profit Nonprofit Organic Organic Bananas Organic Fruit Organic Growing Organic Produce Organic Produce Industry Organics Unlimited pancakes Philanthropy pineapple plantains Press Release Produce Produce Industry Produce Marketing Produce Sales Project Amigo Public Relations Recipe Retail Marketing Sales Support Kit Side Dish Smoothie Smoothie Recipe Social Responsibility Sustainability Sustainable Produce The GROW Fund Vegan
Tag Archives: Produce Industry
If you think organic produce is a trend that has plateaued, think again.
The latest Organic Trade Association survey shows organic fresh produce sales continue to rise and at a greater rate as the recession recedes.
OTA figures show produce sales rose by more than 13% to $9.7 billion in 2012, and organic fruits and vegetables account for more than 10% of consumer fruit and vegetable sales, compared with 6% in 2006 and 2% in 1998.
There is no doubt that consumers’ demand for organic food, especially fresh fruits and vegetables, will increase as the economy strengthens.
Companies that specialize in organic produce and ones that grow and ship only a portion of their product as organic each are finding success.
Nearly every fruit and vegetable item is seeing organic growth.
For instance, organic pear production in the Northwest is expected to rise this year to meet demand.
In the past, we have been skeptical of OTA’s sales figures, and this year they differ from ones we’ve used. In The Packer’s annual Produce Market Guide, we reported retail scan data figures from FreshLook Marketing that showed organic produce sales grew from $2.34 billion in 2011 to $2.78 billion in 2012, and increased from 4.5% of total produce sales to 5.2% of total sales.
The OTA acknowledges its survey has overestimated sales in the past, and it’s good to see the group continue to work on presenting the industry with accurate figures.
Regardless of the details, organic produce remains a niche that many produce companies find worth the investment.
Source: The Packer
For organic consumers, the decision to purchase the higher priced organically grown products is not based on economic factors, but rather a lifestyle choice.
This characteristic has allowed the category to enjoy continual growth, according to suppliers. Continue reading
San Diego (June 26, 2013) Organics Unlimited of San Diego, CA has announced that they will be introducing GROW bananas to the western Canadian market through Pro Organics of British Columbia. Starting in July, GROW bananas will be available to retailers in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and the Yukon.
“Pro Organics has supported Organics Unlimited for many years, and we felt the time was right to make a 100% commitment to the GROW label. We strongly support giving back to the communities that produce our food,” stated Steve Boyle of Pro Organics. “The GROW program is all about giving resources and opportunities to the people working at the farm level, and Pro Organics is pleased to partner with Organics Unlimited in that endeavor.” Pro Organics is Canada’s organic fresh food leader with nearly 25 years of service to the trade.
“Pro Organics has been a long time customer of Organics Unlimited, but this will be the Canadian introduction of our GROW brand starting in July,” said Mayra Velazquez de Leon, president of Organics Unlimited. GROW is a program that was started by Organics Unlimited in 2005 to provide support to communities where the bananas are grown in a very direct way without high administrative costs.
Through a small surcharge on each box of bananas, the program has now generated over $500,000 in educational and health-related support programs in Mexico and Ecuador. “We feel GROW has been very effective in giving the workers, their families and their communities the type of benefits that they need, without the higher costs associated with some of the more well publicized programs intended to protect the workers,” said Velazquez.
The organic category is still seeing growth, according to growers and shippers.
“The overall category is showing growth similar to the growth that we experienced back in 2008 prior to the economic depression,” Jim Roberts, vice president of sales with Naples, Fla.-based berry grower-shipper Naturipe Farms LLC, said in an e-mail. Read more after the jump. Continue reading
Throughout the second quarter we have emphasized the strengths of promoting healthy lifestyles in order to increase organic banana sales. There is no doubt that organic bananas are one of the healthiest options for your consumers to enjoy. Displaying fun and useful facts will serve as a great reminder of the ways your customers can reap the benefits of bananas. Check out 11 of the best healthy facts about bananas you can share today! Continue reading
Unified Grocers has named Charlie’s Produce as its exclusive partner in all produce categories for Unified’s independent retail customers operating stores in Oregon, Washington and Alaska. Retail customers of Unified in the Pacific Northwest will now have more than 5,500 fresh produce items available, as well as a broad assortment of specialty and prepared produce, floral and home meal replacement products. Continue reading